We live near the Plant City, Florida area, which is also known as the Strawberry Capital of the world! It's convenient, close to home pickin' and CHEAP! Where can you get PERFECTLY beautiful organic grown strawberries fresh off the vine for under 90 cents a pound?!
I'm heading out Friday morning for our annual picking and I'm so excited to try Freezer Jam this year. Every year I do the traditional jam making that is yummy, but incredibly messy and not that easy with 5 kids running around. So this year I'm tackling the Freezer Jam. If you haven't heard of it or you are slightly nervous about making jam, you're going to love this alternative. It is so delicious. You get fresh tasting sweet strawberry jam with out the cooked berry taste or the mess...or the hot boiling water...
Strawberry Freezer Jam
- 2 cups crushed FRESH strawberries
- 4 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 box SURE.JELL Fruit Pectin
- 5 (1-cup) plastic containers and lids (Clean with boiling water. Dry thoroughly)
- Crush strawberries thoroughly, 1 cup at a time. Measure exactly 2 cups into a bowl. Stir in sugar. Let stand 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water and pectin in small saucepan. Bring to boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Continue boiling and stirring 1 minute. Add to strawberry mixture; stir 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy.
- Fill the containers immediately to within 1/2 inch of tops. Wipe off top edges of containers; immediately cover with lids. Let stand at room temperature 24 hours. Jam is now ready to use. Store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze extra containers up to 1 year.